Making a Decision



What a responsibility we have, us voters in Scotland. I have sought to keep an open mind, research, try not form an unmovable allegiance, but to engage, join in and explore my way through this journey to the Scottish referendum on independence, and it is a journey of years not months.
I am a decided voter with reasoning behind my choice, I understand my position and remain attentive. I will vote YES. I am not a nationalist, I often feel as British and depending on the context as European, as I do Scottish. Like many I view the binary choice offered by the question “Should Scotland be an independent country?” as being about governance and society not personal identity, family ties or level of individual self belief.

Thanks to the agitators and the organisers who have worked for years to engage us in the idea that political change is possible. Apathy is nowhere to be seen. I celebrate the enthusiasm and passion on both sides and detest the negativity and blinkered arguments that have appeared on both sides too.
Both camps have a myriad of supporters covering far left to far right, so it has been about choosing which framework is likely to offer the most meaningful form of political engagement post referendum. Thank you to those who have spoken, written (from books, research papers, economic studies, to blogs & social media posts) and created art as a means of exploring these ideas and thank you for all the amazing open conversations.
Friends and neighbours have reached differing conclusions and I love that this is OK. 
Regardless of where government lies post referendum the task is to use this sense of energy, involvement and agency to change our society into a fairer one.  In turn this can inspire social change in the other nations of the UK and beyond. My conclusion is that a vote for Scottish independence is the more direct route. I look forward to finding out what we the electorate decide and moving on to the next stage.

However the vote goes lets maintain this feeling of responsibility and work on more ways to express it and live it. We are responsible for the society we live in and the priorities it has all the time.

Comments

Popular Posts