Aqua Aeris



I have just completed Aqua Aeris, a sound work for the Olympia Swim Centre in Dundee, which will be played as part of the Blue Skies festivale on Friday 10th August.
Dawn Campbell was the location sound recordist. This was a new way of working for me and very exciting. Having a new baby meant that there was no way I could make all the recordings so Dawn took on that role and after her recording sessions she would share the files via drop box. It was exciting to switch on the computer and see these new files coming in. She did a great job and captured lots of amazing resonances, hums and tones in the building and also very importantly she recorded conversations.
Once I received the material I began to mine the resonances, exploring and developing their musical qualities.
I composed the majority of the piece while in France literally by a pool and was able to use hydrophones to get close up recordings of the movement of bodies under and over the surface of the water.
I hope the piece is evocative and immersive. I've developed a renewed love of the water and have even started to learn butterfly as a result.
For sounds from the making of the piece go here>>

Aqua Aeris was commissioned by DCA.

Comments

Popular Posts